‘Tis the season — Christmas is coming soon!
In preparation for the big day, we’ve rounded up 25 fun traditions you can start with your family this year.
Traditions impact our lives in a positive way by providing a sense of belonging and strengthening the family bond.
Check out our list of holiday traditions below.
25 Fun Family Christmas Traditions to Start This Year
- Fill your mugs with hot cocoa and drive around looking at Christmas lights.
- Make a list of your family’s favorite Christmas movies and try to watch them all during December.
- Create a Christmas “bucket list” — examples include building a snowman, making hot cocoa, and baking Christmas cookies — and complete it during your child’s winter break.
- Bake Christmas cookies and take them to local first responders.
- Countdown the days until Christmas with an Advent calendar (check out Christmas is Coming, Pinna’s Advent-styled holiday podcast beginning December 1st!).
- Wrap twenty-four books and unwrap one to read with your kids each night leading up to Christmas.
- Put together a “Christmas Eve box” for your kids to unwrap on Christmas Eve night filled with new jammies, hot cocoa, popcorn, and a new board game or movie.
- Keep the focus on giving to those in need by choosing a family through a charitable organization to buy gifts for this Christmas.
- Make Christmas cards and take them to a nearby nursing home to share with the residents.
- Read ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve night.
- Keep track of Santa on the NORAD Santa Tracker.
- Leave out cookies and milk for Santa and (a few snacks for the reindeer too!).
- Make your own salt dough ornaments for the tree.
- Gather around the fire pit outdoors and enjoy s’mores with the family.
- Pick one night during the holiday season and let the whole family camp under the decorated Christmas tree.
- Help your kids write letters to Santa.
- Take your kids to visit Santa.
- Attend your local Christmas parade.
- Assemble a gingerbread house either from a pre-made kit or with graham crackers and frosting.
- Find a place to volunteer together as a family — giving back feels so good!
- Decorate the Christmas tree together.
- Take a family photo in your pajamas on Christmas morning (selfies totally work!).
- Spread a little magic with Elf on the Shelf.
- Start a holiday-themed collection and add to it each year — ideas include snow globes, vintage Coca-Cola polar bears, or even sentimental tree ornaments.
- Go caroling with family and friends.
Wrapping It Up (Like A Gift!)
Family traditions facilitate closeness and bonding during the holiday season (and all year round!).
We hope this list gives you a few new ideas to try with your family this December!
Don’t forget to start listening to Christmas is Coming on December 1st and check back each day leading up to Christmas!
We’re all ears!